LandedCost.io HTS Code Classifier
According to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website, HTS is very complicated. Properly classifying products can be challenging even for professional trade professionals. With each passing year, consumers are becoming more comfortable with purchasing products beyond their own borders. An important step to successfully attract international customers is to calculate as well as collect international import duties and taxes during the online shopping experience. One of the first activities required to calculate international import duties and taxes is to assign H(T)S Codes to each product in the seller's product catalog. We at LandedCost.io have invested a great deal of time and resources in developing an H(T)S classification solution to help sellers classify their own products for international export.
In this step-by-step tutorial, we will walk through an example of classifying a boy's white, 100% cotton shirt for shipment into the United States using the LandedCost.io HTS Code Classifier.
- On the LandedCost.io HTS Code Classifier main page, the end-user has the option to either find an HTS Code by searching by keyword or by browsing.
- In this tutorial, we will find the HTS Code by using the search box. Enter shirt in the search box. As the user types the keyword, the search box will perform a typeahead search to provide options to the end-user. The typeahead search results will return common HS Code (six-digit) classifications. Let's select Boy's T-shirt (610910) from the list.
- Once the end-user selects Boy's T-shirt (610910), a blue decision box, which contains the HTS Chapter (61) and the HTS Heading (09) appears. Click on the (6109) T-shirts, singlets, tank tops and similar garments, knitted or crocheted link to continue with identifying the correct HTS Code.
- After the end-user clicks on (6109) T-shirts, singlets, tank tops and similar garments, knitted or crocheted, the following decision block will appear. Since the end-user is classifying a cotton shirt, he or she would click on (6109.10.00) Of cotton.
- The end-user should click on Men's or boys': since the shirt being classified is a boy's shirt.
- The end-user should click on the (6109.10.00.04) T-shirts, all white, short hemmed sleeves, hemmed bottom, crew or round neckline, or V-neck with a mitered seam at the center of the V, without pockets, trim or embroidery (352) link since white is the color of the shirt.
- Finally, the HTS Code (6109.10.00.04) is displayed along with its article description, general, special and unit of quantity details.
This is end of this tutorial, you now know how to classify a boy's white, 100% cotton shirt using the LandedCost.io HTS Code Classifier.
Watch the LandedCost.io HTS Classifier In Action